I became a dentist because I have always wanted to help others. Nothing makes me feel internally better, than when I can help someone else. It adds meaning to my life. As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a doctor. My standard answer as a child, when someone would ask me what I want to do when I grow up, was to be a doctor. When I was a kid I really loved working with my hands and I got into building models. I would love to build, and still have, all the model airplanes, and ships and tanks that I built. Something about that precision work really appealed to me. Dentistry allowed me to combine those two passions of mine into the perfect calling for me. I find it very gratifying to help get someone out of pain, or make a big change in someone’s appearance that allows them to smile again. I view all of my patients as my family and friends and my goal is to help all of them get to the level of oral health that they want.
As a dentist I want to do work that is meaningful, have fun, and earn a living fulfilling my passion. I believe strongly in continuing education because I think there is more I can learn and do to better help and serve my patients. Typically, I average more than 80 hours of continuing education a year.
Personal Hobbies & Interests
My wife Stephanie and I have been married for 15 years and have two wonderful children, Josh and Elizabeth. My personal hobbies and interests include spending time with my family, boating, reading, traveling, biking, hiking, camping, fishing, cooking, and gardening. I am proud to have been born and raised in beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan.
“Nothing makes me feel better than when I can help get someone out of pain, or make a big change in someone’s appearance that allows them to smile again.” Dr. JJ Bechtel
Memberships – Affiliations – Certifications
- Currently a member of and also a facilitator of local Pankey Institute study clubs in Michigan
- Completed the curriculum at the prestigious Dawson Academy
- Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Member of the American Dental Association
- Member of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry
- Member of the Michigan Dental Association
- Member of the Central District Dental Society, and the Lansing Interdisciplinary Study Club
- Member of The International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology
- Member of The American Academy for Oral Systemic Health
- SMART Certified – Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique IAOMT
- Graduated from Ottawa Hills High School
- Graduate of Hope College (B.A. Chemistry)
- Graduate of The University of Michigan School of Dentistry (D.D.S.)
- Completed General Practice Residency at Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital, in Columbia South Carolina
- Completed advanced dental studies at the Dawson Academy